Sunday 11 May 2014

South Coast Indoor Rowing Tournament

Well up early this morning to go to Clonakilty to race at the South Coast Indoor Rowing Tournament hosted by Ring Rowing Club - second year they have run it and my first year attending - just over an hour in the car so can't get much better than that. As an out of season (for me) race I hadn't had the full build up and taper - two speed sessions and a 1250 is all over the last few weeks - so it was going to be interesting.

Got to the venue and was a nice setup - 9 race machines and a similar number of warm up - which weren't in too bad a condition - I think one had a drag that would not change - but the first one I used prior to the 2k was good - model C with a wooden handle which did feel odd :lol: now a couple of niggles I've had of recent time reared there heads again - the clicking right knee - and a pinched nerve possibly - in my back - nothing serious - just annoying. Anyway the anti-inflam looked after the back but forget to take the glucosimine sulphate for the knee.

After the race warm up I had quite the sweat on - looking across I could see they had open one of the fire doors so there would be a breeze  :-D on to the race machine and if you imagine a square I was top left - but the "spectators" where only a couple of feet from me on the left hand side - bit too close but there you go. Race plan was to set off hard and settle to 1:31 then hold it and see what happens. It went well for the first 500m and then the legs had a little protest - but then the lungs protested more - I stuck as best as I could to the 1:31's but I had to fight off more HD demons than I care to mention. The panting was hard but I got to withing sight of the finish and held on - tough race - wasn't destroyed like at the English but definitely emptied.






Couple of hours break before the 500m so we (Mrs and baby) popped out for some sight seeing - gorgeous seaside scenery - then back for more. Quick warm up and onto the same machine. Planned to hold 1:20 and see what the others did - found myself sitting on 1:18's pretty comfortably (after hitting 1:14 at the start) but the legs tired and although the average was at 1:18.9 going into the last 10 strokes I wasn't able to hold it  :(






Finally was the relay - teamed up with Lucy O'Brien and Andy and Anita Pearce - originally we thought it was similar to the worlds where the ergs would be connected and no changeovers - then we found out it would be changeovers so we practiced - then it was discovered to be a 2k set piece with one rower doing 500m and then the change - so the plan was to send the ladies in first and the gents to follow. Unfortunately we missed the start but all the gang rowed hard - as I jumped on I found myself pulling 1:18's again and tried to hold on to this - in the end again I faded at the end - but apparently it was quite a race to watch as we came through from 6th to 2nd



Great day out and wonderful comp - looking forward to next years already

Race Area



Warm up Area



Viewing Area



2 comments: