Friday 20 March 2015

Earn your split - 2by20min r20

Got some weights in this morning

Deadlift 160lb + bar 
Deadlift 210lb + bar 
Deadlift 254lb (115kg) + bar 
By 10 

Bench Smith Bar only 
Bench Smith 90lb + Bar 
Bench Smith 90lb + Bar 
Bench Smith 90lb + Bar 
By 10

Squat Smith 90lb + bar
Squat Smith 90lb + bar
Squat Smith 90lb + bar
By 10


Lunchtime session was 2by20min r20 - rest 5min - the target was recent season best 30r20 +1.5  so that was 1:43.6 plus 1.5 to give me a target of 1:45.1 or under (for the pair)

The first one was tough but doable - managed to push along sub 1:45 pace and came in with 1:44.4 average but I was blowing - few minor issues I have at the moment are - "new handle blisters" from the new erg handle (picture further down) always get these when I'm breaking in a new erg also skin loss on backside due to shorts and sweat rubbing away a couple of patches of skin down there. also the weight session this am wasn't exactly leaving my legs fresh lol finally still coughing up some green stuff - I'm not feeling well but still haven't cleared the gunk. One thing I was thinking through this is about earning that split - it's all well and good firing off to a fast start paddle the middle and blast the end but I don't feel you really a) earn your split and b) it doesn't build any mental strength - I know Sam Blythe is big on grinding that middle third out and it certainly helped both of us last time we locked horns.



So then the second rep - once I'd cleaned out some more green stuff I was ready to go - knowing that hitting the split from the first rep would be a big ask for now I settled myself into aiming at 1:45/46 splits and see what we could do for the grind - I'd also calculated that if I wanted to hit my overall split target I couldn't let the average be over 1:45.8 - and that's where the grind came from in this one. It was pretty nasty for the majority of it and wanted to HD all over the place - but managed to earn my split although as I think the video shows at the bottom I was a bit wet! (here's to you Lloyd - inspiration for the video)


 New erg issues lol



No comments:

Post a Comment