Saturday 23 January 2016

Irish Bronze - 2k Open

So waking up this morning with a 2 hour drive ahead I hear my daughter calling me "daddy, daddy, don't go to work today!" shes breaking my heart...  Nearly didn't get in the car but she drifted of and so of to "work" I went. That is what today was about - a job - rowing a 2k from start to finish following a plan as best as I could - plan was hard start and settle to 1:32 at 250m then keep the 1:33's tapping away until between 500m and 300m before the end and lift.

So once at the venue and registered I took myself of to a quite place and sat down relaxed and waited to warm up - during which I noted the Irish Heavyweight team also warming up and a line from monsters Inc came to me
"if I lose no one will remember but if you lose know one will let you forget"

Not that I have anything against the young guys but it was more for me to remember why I picked the open and not the 40's group - it was the "I have nothing to lose"  mentality also meant I could focus on the process and ignore the placing - I've rowed in races where I've been leading and backed off pushing myself to make sure I finished - it's a silly way to race in those circumstances. Not today. 
Today was a job. And surprisingly I enjoyed it - stuck to the plan - I'll admit I wasn't it real hellish trouble (which I have been in 2k's) but that again what want today was about - I stuck religiously to my goal - ignored largely the other guys positions (although noted I started in first place and spotted myself in 4th or 5th most of the way)

Not to worry - wasn't expecting a medal - so with 500m to go I lifted - down to 1:32 and 1:31 and then about 300m out I went again and hit a few 1:28's maybe - still solidly in 4th by 14m I drove on to get a sub 6:10 score (my own silver for today - my personal gold would have been 6:07.7) 6:09.6 so 2 seconds of ideal time but walked away having completed a 2k inside 6:10 and nicked the bronze in the open at the same time ;-) still not sure how or who but one of the guys in the top three apparently stopped with a stroke left - be interesting to see the split data.

I'm currently chilling in my car - going back for the 500m open in two hours - time to let the Wulf out....

A mention in the results piece in afloat.ie










No comments:

Post a Comment